ATG Legal Education: Estate Planning from a Litigator's Perspective
May 2, 2019
Problems with an estate or trust can arise seemingly out of nowhere. Sometimes looking at them from a different viewpoint can provide the answers you need to resolve them.
As an estate litigator, Kathleen Ryding has seen the myriad conflicts that can arise during estate planning and administration. Her experience gives her a unique perspective on finding solutions that will help you keep your clients and their families out of the courtroom.
In her presentation, Ms. Ryding will discuss common issues seen in estate and trust administration such as:
- Securing and distributing property;
- Setting reasonable expectations for legatees and beneficiaries;
- Dealing with creditor and custodial claims; and
- Preparing (and filing objections to) accountings.
She will cover purposes for opening an estate, as well as publication and notice to known creditors. Ms. Ryding will also discuss issues with:
Wills and Trusts:
- Petitions for formal proof of will.
- Spousal and children's awards.
- Renunciation of a will by a spouse.
- Challenges to wills and trusts, including claims of undue influence.
- Recovering estate assets by way of citation.
- Convenience accounts.
- Executor and trustee fees.
- Non-performing executors and trustees, and petitioning for their removal.
- Breach of fiduciary duty claims, including applicable statutes of limitations and laches issues.
- In terrorem clauses.
Expand on the knowledge you need to provide your clients with exceptional estate planning and trust service — register now for this online program. And bring your questions, our speaker will answer them as time allows.
Earn 1.50 MCLE in Illinois; 1.50 CLE credit applied for in Wisconsin.
Who Should Attend:
ATG agents; estate planning attorneys in Illinois and Wisconsin
Log-In: 11:50 a.m. - 12 noon
Program: 12 noon - 1:30 p.m.
Kathleen R. Ryding, Attorney at Law, Huck Bouma, PC, Wheaton, Illinois
Cynthia F. Tolan, Trust Officer, ATG Trust Company, Chicago, Illinois
Moderator: Maura E. Mannix, Vice President of Marketing and Development, ATG Trust Company, Chicago, Illinois
Sign Up Today (account required)